Badminton is an indoor sport, which is played commonly on different types of surfaces.
Court surfaces usually affect your performance and skills.
There are four types of court surfaces.
They are made up of synthetic, acrylic, cement and wooden materials.
The people prefer all these courts based on their quality, features, and materials.
But here, in this post, we will discuss the difference between wooden and synthetic courts.
So let’s begin:
Wooden Vs Synthetic Badminton Court
Wooden and synthetic courts are approved by BWF and are used in official and other competitive matches or tournaments.
Synthetic courts are used in international tournaments and championships.
Wooden courts are best for playing in domestic and friendly tournaments.
Now let’s know more about these courts with their merits and demerits.
You might have guessed what kind of court surface we are going to discuss, as per its name.
So if you are looking for a court surface to play some friendly and domestic competitions, wooden courts are one of the best options.
These types of courts are not used at an international level.
Such court flooring is very effective and provides a great shock-absorbing feature while performing basic shots and advanced badminton skills.
But this wooden flooring lacks a gripping feature.
So if you are playing on a wooden court, you need to opt for an excellent grip or non-marking shoes.
Warning: Try to play on a dry surface because wooden courts are slippery, and you can easily face injuries while playing.
Rather than this, wooden courts are very expensive and hard to maintain.
And remember, if you own one, you need to refurnish and polish it shortly.
- The wooden court provides an amazing shock-absorbing feature.
- Excellent for domestic and friendly matches.
- Indulge with a touch of heritage.
- Holds an amazing and elegant structure and appearance.
- These courts are more slippery in comparison to synthetic courts.
- Usually, wooden courts need to provide effective grip while running or performing a fast or frequent move.
- More expensive in comparison to synthetic court.
- Require regular maintenance and polishing because of the brittle nature of wood.
Synthetic courts are usually made of synthetic rubber, polyvinyl chloride, or polyurethane, with effective cushioning and hardness.
It holds a wooden base on the top, and the synthetic rubber mats are laid over it.
And synthetic floors are one of the best options for indoor badminton courts.
Professional and advanced players opt for such flooring on the court.
It is commonly used at international competition levels but also for domestic and friendly matches.
While these synthetic courts are indulged with different 3, 5, and 8 layers, making them more durable and comfortable.
Rather than this, synthetic courts are very cheap compared to wooden courts.
Also, these courts are more durable and hold a life span of 15-20 years.
So if you own one, you need not worry about its maintenance.
- This court flooring is easy to install and replace.
- Holds a smooth surface and is safe to use.
- Synthetic courts are easy to maintain and clean.
- These courts are budget-friendly.
- They are made up of high-quality materials.
- Synthetic court surfaces are non-slippery in comparison to wooden court surfaces.
- Helps to prevent minor injuries like cramps and sprains.
- These synthetic mats are available in different variants in the market.
- Rather than this, these synthetic mats are easy to join and provide amazing stability and traction.
- One in the habit of playing on a wooden surface might face some problems while playing on a synthetic floor for the first time.
Synthetic and wooden are the two commonly used court flooring by the players.
The wooden flooring is done with the help of teak wood, which is slightly durable but highly expensive.
So if you are willing to open an academy or build a court, then with the help of this post, you can choose which court will be more profitable for you.
And if you are a badminton player, then you might have experienced playing them.
If yes, then let me know what kind of flooring you like the most in the comment section below and which one of them you will recommend to the players to opt for.